This Barcelona metro guide will help you join the millions of people that get around Barcelona by metro, the fastest and most practical way to travel around the city.
The metro network actually covers a total of 123 kilometres and has 165 stations in total with 8 different lines. There are 33 connecting stations, 9 of which are also linked to the rail system.
The Metro Lines
The metro network in Barcelona has the following lines:
|Hospital de Bellvitge / Fondo|
|Paral·lel / Badalona Pomepu Fabra|
|Zona Universitària / Trinitat Nova|
|La Pau / Trinitat Nova|
|Cornellà Centre / Vall d´Hebron|
|La Sagrera / Can Zam|
|La Sagrera / Gorg|
|Trinitat Nova / Can Cuiàs|
· Work days (Monday to Thursday), Sundays and public holidays: from 05:00 to 00.00am
· Friday and bank holiday evenings: from 05:00am to 02:00am
· Saturdays and New Year’s Eve, 24th June, 15th August and 24th September there is a 24 hour service
· 24th December: from 05.00 to 23:00
Travel cards and special prices
The combined TMB tickets allow access to the day and night buses (Nitbus), train (Renfe ‘cercanias’, FGC) as well as the tram and metro. The following prices are valid for Zone 1, which covers the whole city centre.
|T10 card.||9,80 €|
|T50/30 card.||39,20 €|
|T70/30 card.||54,90 €|
|T-Mes card.||52,75 €|
|T-Trimestre card.||142,00 €|
|T-Jove card.||105,00 €|
|T-Dia card.||7,25 €|
|T-12 card.||35 €|
Where to Buy Travel Cards
- Tourist information points
- Metro stations (ticket offices or ticket machines)
- A ‘Servicaixa’ bank
- Newspaper kiosks and tobacconists
- Iris ticketing website
Practical Information and Tips
- Single tickets can only be used on the metro.
- The T10 card can be used by more than one person.
- T-Dia Pass can only be used by one person.
- T50/30 card allows for 50 trips for 30 days. Only for one person.
- T70/30 card allows for 70 trips for 30 days. For families or groups.
- T-Mes card gives you unlimited travel for 30 days. Only for one person. ID is required.
- Trimestre card gives you unlimited travel for 90 days. Only for one person. ID is required
- T-Jove card gives you unlimited travel for 90 days. Under 25 years old. Only for one person. ID is required.
- For people with limited mobility (handicapped, elderly, children in push chairs or travellers with luggage), the organization “TMB” has reduced or eliminated any obstacles. This is particularly the case on the newest metro lines: L2 and L11 that are fitted with lifts and have no obstacles for the public.
- On the metro take particular care with your belongings. Pick pocketing is very common especially at rush hour
- Before validating your ticket look at the arrow indicating how to insert your card or ticket in the machine.
|La Sagrera – Can Zam|
|La Sagrera – Gorg|
L9 and L10
The first section of Lines 9 and 10 have been operating since December 2009. Although work continues and new stations are being opened. The new line will be the longest in Europe and contains 52 stations of which 20 will be interchange junctions to connect to other transport systems in Barcelona such as metro lines; L1, L2, L3, L4 and L5, L6, L7 and L8 and FGC ), Cercanías Renfe, Trambaix and Trambesòs AVE.
The Line 9 Barcelona that is estimated to be finished in 2015, shares many features of the Line 10, and is therefore considered part of the same line 9.
For more information and updates on the new stations opened see the information at the Regional government website at Generalitat de Catalunya. (In Spanish).
Now you know you’re way around, it’s time to start looking for accommodation!We have fantastic apartments for families or groups throughout the city waiting just for you.